i always semi-proudly tell people that ‘i don’t watch the news.’ but thanks to all my social medianess (blogs, twitter, facebook and the like), i *do* end up getting most of the day’s news anyway. so i will assume you guys will end up seeing this crazy ass video where this iraqi journalist throws his shoes at president bush during a press conference.
i was shocked to learn the following things about myself and the world as i watched this.
1. i was genuinely scared for president bush. as much as i also genuinely loathe the guy, i don’t want to see him killed or horribly hurt. fall down, choke on a pretzel, that’s got some humor value. but really crazily hurt? not funny. even if it won’t impact our government in that he’s only got a few weeks left, don’t want to see the guy dead.*
2. the guy’s got some fucking reflexes. he just fucking ducks with no effort. those shoes come right at his head, and he just seemingly effortlessly gets out of the way — twice. i can see the athlete in him.
3. 1+2 = funny. once he’s not hurt and i’ve watched it a couple of times, i find it pretty fucking funny. the whole thing. the fact that someone’s throwing shoes at him and that he’s getting out of the way and i don’t know. i’m the type of person who laughs her ass off when she’s nervous. or right afterward.
4. it was pretty weird to know that people are still not immune to stuff. i mean, that dude was right there and who knows what he could have done, you know? he got two shoes off before anyone did anything.
5. on the other hand, realistically, even if they both hit him square in the face, how much damage would a shoe do?
6. what is going to happen to that dude? yipes.
7. on the other hand, wise to note that people are still PISSSSEEED. i don’t think that should go unnoticed.
8. i can’t believe they won’t have a dedicated news channel to just running that video 24 hours a day.
9. i reserve the right to add to this list.
*of course it would have a negative impact on our government as a whole if our president gets whacked at ANY time, but it’s not like cheney would get to rule the land for any amount of time, you know?